Navigation Bar

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Due Date: Week 40

As much as I read and was told about babies typically being late, I could not get that bell curve out of my mind. I didn't really think I would see my 40th week of pregnancy.

This last week has been the toughest for many reasons. First off, my energy level has completely depleted. For most of the week I was taking an average of three naps a day! I just couldn't seem to get up! The fact that I was so near my due date all last week wasn't all that bothersome until I was reminded by someone. Questions about how I was doing, if I had any contractions, if I had a 'feeling' about when baby was coming, am I ready, are the bags pack... All these innocent questions out of love and excitement really began to wear on me because they were reminders of the fact that as far as my body is communicating with me, nothing is happening. Yes there have been a few subtle signs that I am in pre-labor and yes I know that I am indeed at the end of all this but as it has been for the last couple weeks, I can be hours, days, or over a week away still from meeting our sweet Gabriel. I did find some comfort in knowing that my mom had no signs of labor at the end of her pregnancies either. Her water would break and that told her she had a small window of time before her contractions would start. Maybe this is the route my body is going to take too!

Your baby's the size of a jackfruit!
In month nine, the average fetus is about 6.2 to 9.2 pounds and measures about 18.9 to 20.19 inches (wow!). But you really won't know exactly how big your baby is until his birth.

your baby at 40 weeks
  • He's continuing to grow hair and nails.
  • And he's keeping up that lung development, too.

Of course the hottest heat of the year, and the hottest weekend in two years, has to come right at the very tail-end of my pregnancy. We managed fairly well fortunately. Our house has morning rays of sun blocked by a green belt which allows our house to be rather cool in comparison to the 95'F outside weather. On Saturday we sat around watching the Olympics until it started getting warmer than we cared for around early afternoon, at which point we packed up a little cooler and headed out to the coast. As far as we know, this is one of the nicest sand beaches in our area and because of its location it is typically 15'-20'F cooler there with a nice consistent breeze! After spending a few hours reading, napping, watching many families with little boys daydreaming together about our future, we actually started to get cold! Seeing how it was going on six o'clock we figured the worst of the heat had probably subsided and that we'd be able to survive back at home... It was 91'F when we got back into town! We contemplating heading back to the beach but decided to grab a Subway sandwich, eat down at the waterfront and then go see a movie in order to be in air conditioning. Luckily when we bought our house the previous owners left an air conditioning unit that they said would come in handy in the master bedroom since that room gets the hottest in the summers. The heat did not affect our sleeping but rather I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst set of the chills! Still not quite sure what that was about. I've had headaches and stomach aches periodically throughout the week. I start thinking I am getting sick but nothing sticks. Assuming it is all the result of pregnancy and hormones.

On Sunday we opted to not attend church because of the heat and because I have really struggled to sit in church out of terrible discomfort. The last couple weeks we've instead kept up on our churches sermons through online streaming. Initially we talked about going back to the coast but instead I wanted to get some walking in since supposedly that helps the process. At this point I either feel like the idea that walking and exercising naturally induces labor is either a load of baloney or that my baby would be a month late if I didn't do it... We spent a couple hours at the Y walking and using the stair master. I had one measly little contractions. Forty minutes later in Costco I had another one and that was the extent of our pregnancy excitement for the day. We spent about an hour walking around Costco before actually grabbing a cart and doing our grocery shopping. It wasn't nearly as cool inside as we had hoped but it was better than the 95'F outside the store.

When we got home, just the thick heat in the garage as we were unloading the car caused me to get woozy extremely fast! Chris got me set up with my feet in our kiddy pool and a bag of ice. It took a bit for me to come to again but he sat with me and talked as my body temperature came down. At 7 o'clock it was still 80'F in the house so we decided to pack our entertainment upstairs and shut ourselves into our bedroom with the air conditioner set at 60'F.

Luckily the heat wasn't so bad on Monday. I made it to my water aerobics class and walked the mall with my friend Wendy. When Chris got home from work we spent some time walking in the bay before cooling off even more with some Fro-Yo.

Tomorrow I have my 40 week doctor's appointment. At this appointment we'll be scheduling a two-part inducing appointment. I fear needing to be induced but also know that it is standard practiced to be induced 1-2 weeks after the due date if baby has not arrived. My doctor's ideal plan is to have my come in on the 14th at 9pm to get some drugs to soften my cervix since I am a first timer. Then on the 15th I'll come in and get the inducing drugs. The hope though is that Gabriel will grace us with his lovely self by the end of the week...

On another note, one of my best friends has been living in El Salvador for over a year with the Peace Corps! She flew in on Friday and Chris and I along with my other best friend Monique hid at her house to surprise her when she arrived! As soon as she walked up the stairs I became a sobbing mess and hit the floor! Everyone thought I was going to go into labor right there on the spot! Nope.

Monique, Lena, Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments so please don't be shy! I'll usually even invite myself over after you've dropped a note to see what you're up to!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...